2-1-1 Texas: Finding Help
2-1-1 Texas is a service of the Health and Human Services Commission's Texas Information and Referral Network.
Need help and don't know where to go? Dial 2-1-1 to find free information on services in your area providing:
- After-school programs
- Child care
- Disaster relief
- Programs in your area
- Rent assistance
- Senior services
- Utility bill assistance
Health and Human Services Free InformationThe 2-1-1 Texas website uses the databases of local area information centers and gives you the ability to search for free information on health and human services for more than 20,000 state and local programs.
If you need further assistance, please pick up your phone and dial 2-1-1 any time of the day or night. Knowledgeable staff who live in your area will speak with you and answer your questions.
- Option 1: For information on services in your area available 24/7 throughout the year. Information is available in more than 90 languages.
- Option 2: For information on state benefits; available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Option 3: To report waste, fraud, and abuse; available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Lifeline Program is designed to help qualified low-income individuals with the monthly cost of basic telephone and electric service.You can apply for Lifeline Discounts by calling toll free 1866-454-8387 or by going to their website and filling out an application on the LITE-UP Texas Program. Please mail your completed application to:
1779 Wells Branch Parkway
Suite 110B #357
Austin, TX 78728-7022
Domestic Violence HelpThe National Domestic Violence Hotline
Text "START" to 88788
Denton County Friends of the Family
24 Hour Crisis Line: 940-382-7273 or 800-572-4031
Telephone Discount Program
AT&T - Low Income Assistance Program
- Available to qualified low-income customers. Also available, if a resident member of your household is a recipient of a qualified program.
- The program can provide a discount up to $13.50 off your telephone bill.
- The discount will appear on the next telephone bill after your completed application and documentation have been approved.
- You are eligible if you have an outstanding telephone bill and have had your telephone service disconnected, or if you’re about to be disconnected.
- A resident is qualified if the current total household income is at or below 150% of the federal poverty guidelines.
- A resident is also qualified if they are currently receiving:
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program support
- Food stamps
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Health benefit coverage under Child Health Plan (CHIP) under Chapter 62 support
Electric Discount Program
TXU Oncor – Low Income Assistance Program
- Available to qualify low-income customers.
- The program can provide a discount on your electricity bill if you live in an area where you have a choice of electricity power.
- The electric discount program is a five month program.
- The discount will be on the May through September bills only, after your completed application and documentation has been approved.
- You may be automatically enrolled in the discount program if you already receive certain benefits from the Health and Human Services Commissions, such as food stamps and Medicaid
- The Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) is a U.S. government program run by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) program to help low-income households pay for internet service and connected devices like a laptop or tablet.
- You are likely eligible if your household’s income is below 200% of the Federal Poverty Line, or if you or someone you live with currently receives a government benefit like SNAP, Medicaid, SSI, WIC, Pell Grant, or Free and Reduced-Price Lunch.
- If your household is eligible, you could receive: - Up to a $30/month discount on your internet service
- Up to a $75/month discount if your household is on qualifying Tribal lands
- A one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, tablet, or desktop computer (with a co-payment of more than $10 but less than $50)
- A low cost service plan that may be fully covered through the ACP*