- Public Works
- Water Division
- Water Conservation Guidelines
Water Conservation Guidelines
Conservation Stage Watering GuidelinesThe Town of Little Elm is committed to conserving and protecting our water supply in a cooperative effort with our citizens and other North Texas Municipal Water District member/ customer cities through education and enforcement that contributes to the overall quality of life. Water Conservation days and the legend below apply to all Town of Little Elm utility users. If you are unsure of your trash day please click on the map below for detailed street names in your area.
Water Conservation Resource Management Plan 2019
For questions or further details please contact Public Works at 972-377-5557
Did you recently add new sod, grass, or plants to your property that require extra watering? Please be sure to request a Variance for current watering restrictions.
Residents may apply for a watering variance in the case of new construction or severe erosion control. The request should be submitted to the Utilities Superintendent in the Public Works Department prior to the purchase or scheduling of new landscape. If you’d like to request a watering variance click on the link and you may be granted a maximum 30-day water variance upon approval. Request a Variance.
- Under the Conservation Stage, the following requirements are mandatory and enforceable with a fine up to $2,000:
- Watering with sprinklers or irrigation systems is limited to twice a week watering, only when necessary per watering schedule until further notice.
- No watering from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- Prohibit using water in such a manner that allows runoff or waste.
- Outdoor watering requires a spray nozzle with shut-off.
- Foundations, new landscaping, new plantings (first year) of shrubs, and trees may be watered for up to 2 hours on any day by a hand-held hose, a soaker hose, or a dedicated zone using a drip irrigation system.
- Locations using other sources of water supply for irrigation may irrigate without restrictions.
*Residents are allowed to wash vehicles at any time if using a hose with a hand-held sprayer or nozzle with a shut-off.
Living in Texas means that we are ALWAYS at a watchful level of Water Conservation. The state as a whole remains in a constant state of Water Conservation. With spring upon us our Water Conservation is currently on “seasonal restrictions” which limits the Town residents to landscape watering twice a week from April 1st - October 31st at this time. Town Ordinance allows residents to water twice per week corresponding to their trash day, though resident are encouraged to only water as needed. This watering schedule excludes the hours of 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on any given day (no watering between 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.) The Town of Little Elm encourages residents to complete an annual test at the beginning of the season to take a closer look at their irrigation system. Water loss is not always visible or noticeable until ground saturation occurs. Have a professionally licensed irrigator check out your irrigation system and perform an audit. Your system could most likely use some fine-tuning.
DocumentsWater Conservation and Water Resource Management Plan
Helpful Water Conservation InformationWater Conserving Tips
Conserving Water Outdoors
Conserving Water Indoors
Proper Lawn Watering
A Watering Guide for Texas Landscape
Online ResourcesAmerican Water Works Association
Texas Water Development Board
Water IQ: Know Your Water
Water Data - Lavon Lake